AGHERTON PARISH CHURCH
Welcome to the Church of St John the Baptist. Please feel free to go inside and have a look around, or spend a few moments in the peace and quiet of this lovely space at the centre of Portstewart.
There is a service of Holy Communion each Wednesday with prayer for those in need at 10.30am and often saints’ days and commemorations are transferred to that day. Sunday service is at 11am either Parish Eucharist, Morning Prayer, or a Family Service (3rd Sunday).
Sunday ONLINE service is available through our Website or via our YouTube channel each Sunday from 9:00am.
There is a bible, prayer book and a book of readings near the Side Chapel on the right hand side.
The building was recently re-hallowed following some re-ordering in the nave and the new porch extension dedicated in September 2016, marking 175 years of worship in the current location. Previously the church was at the junction of the Agherton and Coleraine roads up towards Coleraine. A church ruin still stands there. The great arch at the entrance to the chancel was designed by Sir Thomas Drew and was a later addition to the main body of the church. The Church was consecrated for worship in 1841 and was re- oriented when the arch was added. The original east window can be seen on the (East) by the left hand side aisle. So now, unusually, the pews are facing South towards the chancel and sanctuary.
Parish organisations usually start in September but there are many other users of our Parish Centre at 19 Church Street.
Please contact us if you would like to know more.
Office: 028 7083 3277
Mon-Thurs 9:00am to 1:00pm